9 Tips for Riding the Worst Day of the Year Ride
The Worst Day of the Year Ride is coming up on Valentine’s Day.
We’ve been going to this awesome ride since the very first one in 2003 so we thought we’d share a little veteran wisdom about how to make the most of your ride (and why you absolutely don’t want to miss it).
Make the Most of Your Ride
- Wigs go OUTSIDE your helmet. That’s what really makes your costume come together.
- Costumes aren’t mandatory, but they really should be. You’re going to get to the ride, stand in a sea of costumed bikers, and be bummed you didn’t allocate 15 minutes to at least digging up a cape or a wig.
- Waterproof costumes rock! We’ve seen people dressed in all sorts of costumes that help keep them dry. Bonus points!
- Bring friends. The ride is much more fun when you have a posse to roll with through the streets of Portland.
- The pre-ride party is on Saturday at the Lucky Lab. That’s where you pick up your rider number and get the low-down on the ride. We highly recommend attending because a) Drink a beer b) Meet other riders who are probably really cool people c) Get your business squared away so you’re ready to roll on the morning of the ride.
- Arrive early on the morning of the ride. Not too early, just 45 minutes or so. That way, you can: a) Use the restroom b) Eat doughnuts!!!! c) Drink coffee d) Run into (and make new) friends e) Deal with costume emergencies that might arise and of course f) Figure out the whole car parking deal if you’re driving there (we recommend biking, but there is ample parking all around on the side streets – you just might have to walk a couple blocks).
- Plan to hang out. Make it a party. Even if your friends can’t join you on the ride, they can still come to the ultra-fun finish line party.
- Register online – you’ll save $$ that way. For deeper savings, pick up a coupon at participating locations. But if nothing else, you can always register on the morning of the ride at the event.
- Most of all, just GO! This year the ride is celebrating it’s 15 anniversary with all new routes. Even if you’ve been on the ride in the past and are thinking “I’ve already done that”, you don’t want to miss this year with the cool new stops, including breweries and Velo Cult, equal parts bike shop tavern, museum and cultural hangout. (oh how we LOVE Velo Cult!).
Okay, now you’ve got the basics. It’s time to assemble your costume. Here are some of our favorites from over the years.