Healthy Snacks on the Go
We’ve all been there. You’re headed out on a ride. It seemed like there were a million things to get ready for the ride, and you’re just glad you finally made it out the door. It’s not until you hit mile 20 that you realize you didn’t pack any snacks. Maybe you’re fortunate to have a convenience store along the way, but chances are you’re pretty far from the luxuries of your favorite grocery store.
With a little know-how you can survive this mishap, and hopefully prevent it in the future.
What’s Good In a Pinch
These convenience store staples may not be your favorite foods, but they’re a good grab-and-go.
- A bar that has the fewest ingredients possible – we like Kind and Larabar for this reason.
- Raw or roasted nuts.
- Jerky, Slim Jim, etc.
- Pretzels or other salty snacks that aren’t heavy in fat.
- A quality dark chocolate with nuts – the simpler the better.
- When all else fails, get the corn dog from under the heat lamp. Your body may not thank you, but your taste buds will.
Better Luck Next Time
Stock your kitchen with these staples for awesome, healthy grab-and-go snacks.
- Hard boiled eggs.
- Date rolls (bulk section, coated in coconut, no added sugar)
- Raw nuts. Mix them with pretzels if you like a little more of a snack
- Your favorite bars. Buy them by the case and keep them on hand.
The ORbike Mix
Create your own mix based on what you love to have on a ride. This is our favorite snack mix for rides.
1 part raw walnuts
1 part raw almonds
1 part dried cherries
2 parts date rolls
Mix these together and store in a jar on the shelf.
Before the ride, load up a ziploc and add in some pretzels.