HERE COMES THE FUN
Oh how we love June! The rain starts its low recession and lush summertime relaxation is on the horizon. Bike events abound and there’s no shortage of fun to be had on two wheels.
June also means its time for Pedalpalooza, Portland’s annual celebration of bike creativity. Clever bikers host a series of mostly free (and often wacky) events for three jam-packed weeks of velo revelry.
WORLD NAKED BIKE RIDE
One of the signature events is the World Naked Ride. Incarnations of the event happen worldwide, but Portland’s is regarded as the largest. This year the ride will kick off in partnership with the Portland Art Museum’s Cylepedia bike-themed art exhibit. The ride will leave from outside the museum and a pre-party will be held inside. Admission is $1 per piece of clothing.
KEEP YOUR SHIRT ON!
Other Pedalpalooza rides encourage clothing, such as Bowie vs. Prince ride (pick your allegiance to one of those two pop stars by dressing in homage), Cowboy Ride, Star Trek vs. Star Wars , and the Hot Socks Ride.
NEW TO IT ALL? NO PROB!
If you’re new to biking, Pedalpalooza offers ample opportunities to meet other bikers and learn new skills as educational events abound (like Bike Touring for Women). If you’re new to biking with kids, the family-friendly activities are an excellent way to gain knowledge from experienced biking families.
Every city should be so lucky to have a festival like Pedalpalooza, when bikers come out in droves to revel in summertime cycling silliness. The only downside? Some days are so full there are as many as 20 events to choose from. We’ve highlighted some of our favorite events in the ORbike calendar (and the newsletter calendar on the sidebar here). Rally your bike party posse and start planning now – you definitely don’t want to miss out on this bike fun, the perfect way to kick off summer.
- Sleep? Who needs sleep? Sleep is for winter. Pedalpalooza only happens once a year – make the most of it!
- The calendar is full! Plan now, log the events in your calendar, and share it with friends to build your posse. But at the same time…
- Go solo! Pedalpalooza is an incredible way to meet interesting people, and most events are rather social. Don’t let the lack of a buddy hold you back from attending the events you want to attend.
- Bring cash. If there is any food or drink involved, cards are a hassle and cash speeds things up.
- If you’re at a food/drink establishment, tip your servers well. Pedalpalooza posses arrive and dominate, which can be a hassle for the staff. Let them know bikers are rad by tipping well and setting the tone, leaving a great impression.
- Bring your lights, lock and helmet. Be safe. Be prepared to have so much fun you might come home late.
- Get to know the ride organizer. Sometimes they’re new to this whole organizing business, so just ask your questions and get the lay of the land, in case they’re not offering the info you need to feel comfortable. “Thanks for leading! I’m Greg, really excited for what you have planned. So, how’s this all going to go down today?”
- Take pics, tell friends, go to more events, rally people to join you, don’t miss out on the fun.
FIND YOUR EVENTS
Cruise through the extensive Pedalpalooza calendar >>