You know a bike event has truly become a tradition when it spawns an all new event – one that doesn’t even take place on bikes.
The Worst Day of the Year Ride on February 10 is Portland’s favorite wacky wintertime ride. New this year, runners are invited to join in on the action with the first-ever Worst Day of the Year Run on February 2. The run takes place at the Expo Center.
The Worst Day of the Year Ride started with 250 brave souls who dragged their bikes out of the garage, pulled on bright yellow rain jackets (that’s about all there was back then!) and trudged out into a gloomy day. After a foggy morning, the skies lifted, the sun shone and those 250 riders were laughing like crazy, vowing they’d come back year after year. They have, and so has that sunshine. In all 11 years of the Worst Day of the Year Ride, it has barely ever rained.
Bring the Whole Clan
The Worst Day of the Year Ride is a fantastic excuse to get get your mom, coworker, husband, lazy son, nervous neighbor or group of friends on bikes for a day of circling the city in costume while supporting the Community Cycling Center.
* Coffee and doughnuts at the start line.
* Snacks and hot drinks on course.
* Finish line soup lunch with all the best fixings.
* Expertly chosen routes, a scenic course on mostly low traffic streets.
* A well-marked course easily guides you at every turn.
* Dedicated support phone number you can call with questions while on course
* Booming beats from the Last Regiment of Syncopated Drummers.
* Support medics and mechanics on course riding alongside you
* Support vehicles that are dispatched upon request
* Huge start line and finish line parties
* Gigantic sea of friendly, energetic riders dressed in ridiculous costumes
* An opportunity to bring all your friends together for the day in support of the Community Cycling Center
* Interactive route maps online